Buy Fruitkit - The easy 'all in one' way to buy your fruit tree. No plastic pot.. just plant the wrapped root-ball in the ground! Makes a great gift
Fruitkit is whole new way to buy a fruit tree, at Edibleculture we offer the complete kit in a environmentally sound package with no worry about pollination, the correct planting medium, correct pruning for getting the tree started and planted complete in a biodegradable Hessian bag! Buy Fruitkit!
Buy Fruitkit – the easy way to grow.
Fruitkit consists of –
- A choice of either a dwarfing (3 metre max) or full-size(4 metre max) 2 year old bush – apple, pear, quince, plum or gage. – All are self fertile, requiring no pollinator!
- Each tree is pre-pruned by our horticultural expert to ensure a balanced and open tree.
- A eco-tanalised stake, rabbit guard and adjustable tie!
- The root ball is wrapped in biodegradable Hessian held by jute string, the roots are enveloped in peat free compost with added slow release fertilizer to encourage root growth in the first year.
- The roots are pre treated with Rootgrow (TM) a fantastic mysogai fungi additive that adds a secondary root system hastening growth and drought proofing the tree.
- Your fruitkit tree comes in a recycled wooden crate which keeps the root-ball safe until its planted, you can use the crate as a planter or break it up for kindling!.. its up you to recycle it!
- Even the cardboard packaging can used as a mulch, we use unbleached recycled cardboard, rip and place around the tree.
- You also get a free long life wooden tag so you don’t forget what tree you planted!
Whether you are buying a tree for yourself or as a gift this is the simplest method, taking a lot of the guess work out of what can be a daunting process, each tree is grown in the UK at our nursery in Kent under strict environmental principles, we take this very seriously from minimising plastic waste right down to our splendid composting toilets!
Breaking the cycle…
As growers, we ourselves are tired of the sheer volume of plastic waste.. we have working hard to come up with a method of using natural materials that lend themselves to either break down and return to the earth or we can utilise in another part of our day to day lives.. we are truly excited by this product because it is a alternative to plastic pots and plastic packaging, it sets the tree up in a brilliant planting medium and something that we fail to see time and time again…. the initial prune is already done!
Classic Hardy Varieties.. Have you ever had Cox Spot?!
‘With chemical control nearly non-existent for the home grower the future is varieties with good disease tolerance.’
Years of growing, selling and maintaining fruit trees have taught us a thing or two about varieties. On a couple of levels, we know the taste and uses of a fruit and we know what varieties are prone to problems..
If you look in to some varieties it is useful to understand that some are prone to a wide range of diseases including there own awkwardly titled disease like ‘Cox spot’. Of the varieties available as a Fruitkit we have such classic varieties as James Grieve – a hardy dual purpose self fertile apple with a loyal following, another one we like is Quince Vranja – reliable with wonderful fruit and self fertility. Please have a look through our Fruitkits below.. any questions please contact us.