A successful orchard can last for generations, look stunning, provide fruit and a vitally important natural habitat.
At Edibleculture we have the experience to give your orchard a firm foundation. Contact Us!
Our Process –
- Site survey and Consultation – Orchard design starts with measuring and looking at the site, establishing tree size and desired look. Formal, spaced or naturalistic..
- Soil testing – A comprehensive soil test will be carried out, which will outline nutrient deficiencies, soil structure and PH.
- Planning and Design – We have planted 1 or 2 (and the rest) orchards in our time, but each project is different. We plot trees according to rootstock size and desired appearance, on a clear and informative plan.
- Tree variety selection and planting – We have access to a large range of fruit tree varieties grown in British nurseries (at cheaper prices than most tree centres) to a very high standard of environmental awareness. We select trees to provide a long fruiting period, great taste and easy to grow habit. We also plant with longevity in mind, applying our knowledge in soil preparation using products like Mychorizzal fungi. Also using Kent grown coppice tree stakes and adjustable ties.
- Maintenance – We don’t just walk away once the orchard is set up, the foundation of a thriving orchard is pruning, the establishment of preventative pest/disease control structures and reacting to environmental issues like drought. We take care to visit your orchard on defined days to prune and check.
We are the only company to use Kentish Coppice posts as a standard for orchard installation, we only use UK trees, we use chemical free pest control and we offer clear advice about what varieties are prone to disease.
We follow English Nature Community Orchards Guide. A really excellent guide to a new orchard project.
With each new orchard or fruit tree planted, we offer a tailor made maintenance package for the first, second and third years and beyond! We can offer a clear yearly maintenance contract that will ensure your orchard establishes correctly and ensure the longevity of your trees.
Contact us for an informal consultation.